In this illuminating and humorous journey through the financial markets, veteran financial reporter Paddy Hirsch translates the language of finance for the average American, offering clear, relatable explanations and definitions of the instruments of our financial system.
Your purchase supports Marketplace and American Public Media.
Table of Contents:
Foreword, by Kai Ryssdal, Host, Marketplace
Introduction: The Financial Corner Store
- Your Piece of the Action: Stocks, Shares, and Equity Trading
- Racking It Up: Debt, and Why It’s Not Always a Bad Thing
- Under the Skin: How a Company Hangs Together
- Derivatives: Devilish? Destructive? Deadly?
- Your Jell-O for My Cake: How Swaps Work
- The Folding Stuff: Money, and How It Makes Its Way Around the World
- The House Always Wins: The Banking System
- Loosening the Beltway: The Fed, the Treasury, and How Government Gets Involved
- Gimme, Gimme, Gimme: Consumer Debt, Securitization, and Shadow Banking
- Architects of Our Own Destruction: Decline and Recovery in the Financial Markets